Monday, November 8, 2010

How it all began.


It all started with the name.  I used to be a brunette. Serious, thoughtful, logical, but something was missing.  First there were the blonde tips, which turned into strips, which quickly morphed into a head full of blonde hair.  Something happened that day, both magical & frightening all at once.  The magic began when my face softened, but tragedy also occurred. My brain softened along with it.  My responses & my response time to questions changed, turned, & twisted as the answers came out of my mouth.  When asked a question, my voice would change. It went up an octave. Then my head would tilt. Sometimes to the right, sometimes left.  However, the birth of LaLa did not start with the higher octave or the tilt of the head.  La La’s birth came with the constant response of  “Whatttttt”? to almost every question. 
One day on a bus ride from Monterey to Los Angeles(more about that later) with a friend & her daughter. My friend’s daughter asked me a question. I didn’t hear her the first time as I was starring out into space thinking about something else. Probably fixated on another shinny object. So she asked her question again.  Still engrossed in my own thoughts & the shinny object, I looked at hertilted my head and  said in a much higher octave than my normal voice, “Whattttttt”?   She looked at me, forgetting that she had ever asked me a question and said mockingly while tilting her head from side to side, “LaLa”.  I briefly looked at her, then at her mother and we all starting laughing so hard that tears rolled down everyone’s face.  We all knew in that moment that this 14 year old teenager was spot on in her analogy of me. Hence the birth of LaLa.

No comments:

Post a Comment